Windows 10 launches – free upgrades in 190 countries
The much-talked-about OS. Windows 10, finally here, is currently rolling out as a free upgrade for users in 190 countries
Windows 10, the most talked about successor to Windows 8, is here and is currently being offered to Windows users in 190 countries. Launch events are being held in 13 cities, including New Delhi. The new operating system has gone through eight months of development, from adding new features to countless patches and fixes. Microsoft’s Windows Insider program, which has given rolling updates to Windows testers, has already provided a comprehensive preview of what can be expected from Windows 10, and here’s the official new key.
Microsoft is claiming that Windows 10 is by far the “safest” Windows, with new features like Edge Browser, Cortana, Photos, Xbox App and several new features. Windows 10 is also said to be the ‘final’ version of Windows, and will provide rolling updates to keep the Microsoft operating system up-to-date with future standards. In addition, Windows 10 is not seen as a standalone PC operating system, but as a universal platform for multiple devices of different form factor, echoing CEO Satya Nadella’s goal of providing a universal platform for all devices. Windows 10 also has the Continuum feature, which will allow future Windows 10 mobile devices to be converted to a PC form factor when attached to a large display and a keyboard bundle.
Here are the keynote notes from Microsoft’s press release on the launch of Windows 10:
Windows 10 is more personal and productive, with voice, pen and gesture input for natural interaction with PCs. It’s designed to work with Office and Skype and allows you to switch between apps and stay organized with Snap and Task View. Windows 10 offers many innovative experiences and devices, including the following:
- Cortana, the personal digital assistant, makes it easy to find the right information at the right time.
- The new Microsoft Edge browser lets people quickly browse, read, identify and share the web.
- The integrated Xbox app provides the Xbox experience in Windows 10, bringing together friends, games and achievements across Xbox One and Windows 10 devices.
- Continuously optimizes the app and experience across touch and desktop modes.
- Built-in app with photos; Map Microsoft’s new music app, Groove; And offers movie and TV entertainment and productivity options With OneDrive, files can be easily shared and kept up-to-date on all devices.
- A Microsoft Phone Companion app enables iPhones, Android or Windows Phones to work seamlessly with Windows 10 devices.
- All new office mobile apps for Windows 10 tablets are available in the Windows Store4 today. Designed to work on the go, the Word, Excel and PowerPoint apps provide a consistent, touch-first experience for smaller tablets. And for all your digital note-taking needs, the full-featured OneNote app is pre-installed with Windows 10. The upcoming release of the Office Desktop App (Office 2016) will offer us the richest feature set for creating professional content. Designed for the precision of a keyboard and mouse, these apps will be optimized for 2-in-1 devices like big screen PCs, laptops and Surface Pros.